STATCOM is the most advanced reactive power compensation device at present. It no longer uses large-capacity capacitors or inductors to produce the required reactive power, but rather generates this through high frequency switching of power electronic devices to realize the compensation and quickly adjust to reactive power. This is a qualitative leap of reactive power compensation technology, especially with regard to dynamic reactive power compensation of medium and high voltage power systems.
- Compensate system reactive power, improve power factor, reduce line loss, save energy and reduce consumption；
- Maintain receiving end voltages, strengthen the system voltage stability
- Restrain voltage fluctuations and flicker
- Suppress three phase unbalance
- Response speed is very fast： STATCOM can finish inter-conversion from rating capacitive reactive power to rating inductive reactive power in a short response time (<5ms) and can be competent with all kinds of real-time tracking reactive power compensation devices, in use with high speed fluctuating loads.
- The ability to restrain voltage flicker is stronger. The restrain can be 5:1 or even higher.
- Operation scope is wider. STATCOM can work within the range from rating inductive to rating capacitive, and reactive power output current will not reduce when system voltage is reduced.
- Compensation function is diversified. Not only does it perform fast tracking and compensation to the system reactive power, but also performs integrated compensation to load harmonic current, negative-sequence current and other power quality problems.
- Footprint is small：the covering area of STATCOM is 50% of SVC with same capacity.
STATCOM can be widely used in:
- Petrochemical industry
- Electrified railway
- Wind power plant
- Other impact loads and big capacity motors.